Skip navigation| Access Keys| Site Map| Feedback

Emergency support

The Carers' Emergency Support Service is a free service, available to all carers who care for adults. If you have an emergency situation the service makes sure that the person you help care for is safe, and their care needs are met.

How do I register?

Please call 0330 088 2367 to register for The Carers' Emergency Support Service. You will be asked to give some information about you, the person you care for and people who can be contacted in an emergency.

How does it work?

In an emergency, you need to call the service on 03300 882 367. They will ask you for a few details such as your name and address and will:

  • Contact the person(s) you have asked us to ring in case of emergency.
  • If we cannot reach your nominated contact(s), we will send one of our care assistants to provide care/support to the person you care for.
  • We will continue to try and contact your nominated contact(s), and phone social care services to provide extended care, if needed.
  • Contact the person you care for and inform him/her of what has happened (if that is appropriate).
  • Keep you informed of the outcome if possible.

Who provides the service?

The Durham and Darlington Carers' Emergency Support Service is supplied by Homecare Support Out of Hours Service. Homecare Support is a service supplied by the Human Support Group who have been supplying Homecare Support and Reablement services for the last 17 years.