Skip navigation| Access Keys| Site Map| Feedback

There are thousands of unpaid carers in County Durham providing care or support to a relative, neighbour or friend. Most people who are carers don't see themselves as carers, but as husbands, wives, partners, parents, sons, daughters, siblings or friends. Caring for someone can involve things like helping with their washing, dressing or eating, taking them to appointments or keeping them company when they feel alone. This website tells you about the support that is available for unpaid carers in County Durham.

Covid-19 (Coronavirus)

In line with government guidance on social distancing, Durham County Carers Support will focus on telephone, email and social media. The service will not be delivering face-to-face support unless it is exceptional circumstances.

All training, support groups and events over the next few weeks have been cancelled, and this decision will be reviewed in four weeks. Carers in County Durham who need advice and support can continue to contact the service by telephone on 0300 005 1213 or keep up to date through Facebook.

Are you a carer?

Carers may receive different support depending on the care they provide and who they care for. There are four main types of carer:

  • Adult carers - If you are an adult who provides care for another adult who needs care and support, then you are an adult carer. Parents caring for their child who is over the age of 18 are also adult carers.
  • Parent carers - If you look after your own child who has a disability and is under the age of 18, then you are a parent carer.
  • Young adult carers - If you are aged 18 - 24 years and provide unpaid care, assistance or support to a family member who has care and support needs then you are a young adult carer.
  • Young carers - If you are a child or young person under the age of 18 who looks after someone with care and support needs, for example, a parent, sibling or other relative, then you are a young carer.

How do I get help?

If you need help or support in your caring role, visit our get a carer's assessment page, which tells you how to get your needs assessed. If you live or are caring for someone in the Darlington area, information about support for carers can be found on the caring for someone page of Darlington Borough Council's website.